It’s time for another update on my original quilting goals for 2016. My goal for the year is to quilt 12 original quilts, one per month, for the duration of the year. Read my first retrospective here.
These few months, I finished three [large] original quilts – a striped one (blockless), a geometric one with many Y-seams, and an Irish-chain inspired quilt with some added flair. I don’t have quite the same type of self-criticism as the first quarter retrospective, but I’ll briefly say I was quite happy with how these quilts turned out as my style continues to solidify. I love piecing with solids and piecing and quilting in geometric and angular patterns. And, as you can see, I really loved going with the blue, gray, and greens.
What I underestimated in these quilts was the challenge in machine quilting quilts of this size. The challenge pushed me so far as to take a local long-arm quilting class to be able to rent a long-arm machine. I’d love to do this, but the logistics of the rental are a bit challenging with my availability these days.
I continue to improve my techniques in piecing and quilting, including improved binding and mitered corners, and overall more patience in taking time to do things [more] accurately.
It’s already half-way through the third quarter and I’ve finished two new quilts, so I’ll have more to share on those later. In the meantime, enjoy some photos of quilts finished from April through June!